candleling how to handle?....pics added

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, Nov 20, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I want to candle my hens eggs...what is the best way to handle the is there harm in turning them the wrong way?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    after some more research I went ahead.....here are some of them, we are on day 4 or 5, they all have an air sac I am just concerned b/c some don't seem as developed as others , but I did see a few veins in some of them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (worried about this one it seems to be behind the others in develping)

Also she is a small hen, not bantam, but small and she is sitting on 13 eggs, can she heat them all properly?

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I only see veins in photo #1.

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Age and the "generally accompanying" reduced visual accuity has me hesitant to "candle eggs". I plan to do it about day 12-14 the next time I try to incubate. Perhaps..I WILL be able to "see" something THEN. I think a LOT of you folks have "microscopic vision".

I never "see" a da_ned thing!

It REALLY doesn't "interest" me much.....I just don't want an egg "exploding".

Hen sets on egg.....don't candle.

MAYBE me too....

Unfortunately, I don't "sniff" worth a darn either!

Ha-Ha!

GLAD that you Folks can "see" somethin' going on there. [​IMG]

GOOD LUCK !!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I am afraid the pics aren't very good they where taken with my phone. But the large blob and an air sack means something right? This is only what I think is day 5 could be 4 ... I am not sure exactly when she started setting for good. I could see veins in some of them but not all, but it took a while for my eyes to adjust. I don't think I would ever be brave enough to throw any out unless it was totally obvious it was a dud ... I kinda hope instincts would kick in and she will decide good and bad. I like to candle to show the kids whats going on. I home school and this is great for a science lesson! As long as there is no danger in it!?

6. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    The "large blob" is the yolk and the air sac are is just that. What you are looking for at this stage is the formation of blood vessels. I can see them in your first picture. I have taken your picture and used photoshop to try to illustrate what you are looking for. In this photo you should be able to see the barely visible veins in the area I circled. If you look carefully at your photo you will see them. The next stage of development will show many more blood vessels. In a few days you will be able to see a small black dot which is the eye.

[​IMG]

I have old lady eyes so I really can't see any blood vessels yet in the two other pictures. they may show up in a few days.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
  7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

It's only day 4 or 5? Then it is really too early. Wait until day 10. The more you handle the eggs, the more likely you are to jar the contents.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Veins and details don't show up nearly as well over the internet even with very good pictures and day 4 or 5 is the beginning of when you can usually see veins in light eggs. I wouldn't make any decisions on an egg that early even if I saw it in person. Usually I make decisions on day 10 with light shelled eggs since by then it's usually pretty obvious if one has done nothing. Dark shelled eggs are a different matter and you may never see anything in them.

As for candling just make sure you don't have anything potentially harmful on your hands (remember egg shells are porous), don't turn them too quickly, and of course don't drop them. If you aren't too rough about it then direction or amount you turn them really doesn't matter so long as you aren't dealing with eggs that have loose air sacs from shipping or rough treatment floating around in there. Rolling a loose air sac all over the place does not do good things for developing eggs. Otherwise I've candled eggs daily and had them hatch just fine.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree with Akane, always wash your hands before handling and after. It is a little early to make a good judgement on your eggs. I never candle before 7 days. Good Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by