candleling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kings servant, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Kings servant

Kings servant New Egg

Nov 16, 2009
    our hen has been sitting for about 21 days, havent caught her off the nest to candle the egg, ive read where you check it at night. am i supposed to pick her up and get the egg to check it? this is our first time, guess im afraid she'll abandon it if we spook her. i have been leaving a light on 24 hrs because the coop is in the shop.
    also, at what temperature would you recommend putting a heat lamp in the shop? shop is insulated. we have orpingtons and sex links. thanks for your help.

psalm 33:8

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here.

Easy question first. I you have adequate ventilation, I would not even consider a heat lamp in an insulated coop until it got below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, assuming you have reasonably cold-hardy breeds. Orpingtons and sex links are cold hardy breeds.

I can understand your nervousness. While it is possible some broody hens will abandon a nest if you remove them, it is extremely rare. I have never hesitated to remove a broody day or night if I needed to check under her, such as the daily check for new eggs. It has never been a problem for me.

Around day 21, I would not check under her. It is too close to the hatch to disturb her. I'd just leave her alone. Around day 23 you might want to check. If you don't see pipping by then, you probably have a problem.

Others may help out here, but the main reason I'd candle at night is because you can see inside the egg much better if it is very dark, especially brown eggs. Unless you are in a dark place, it is hard to see inside the egg.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  3. Kings servant

Kings servant New Egg

Nov 16, 2009
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Still no pipping yet but we'll just have to wait and see...Good Luck and God Bless!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by