Candler????Anyone know the answer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Not sure if this is where this goes but It seemed like the right place.

Of course my egg candler died today and I'm bummed!!

Can anyone tell me where to get/order a good quality egg candler. I got a cheaper one and it died within a year [​IMG] I think I paid 15.00 for it or something like that.
    Thanks! I want to order one today before my BLRW eggs get going!

2. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    This is the exact one I had and it did candle the eggs well but it kept shorting out and this morning there was a loud pop and it blew out [​IMG] It wasn't good for looking in really dark eggs like marans but the BLRW shells were fine. I know I can see in my barnevelder eggs ok...not the best but ok.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I DO have to add that my can chewed the cord right up next to the swivel part and my husband fixed it and it lasted a long time after that but then it just blew out. SO I can't say if it would have lasted longer had she not chewed it and it having to be fixed.

5. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    well i never have bought a actual candler i just use a rechargable crank flashlight with super bright led's it always works fine for me with silkie eggs but as for those really dark eggs i dont know:/

6. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Yeah i don't know if the egg shells are just too thick on the blrw eggs or if they're infertile and I'm not missing anything..... I like the first option better.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    BLRW are not very dark either so if all your seeing is clear then prob not fertile. I see veins in those types of eggs easy by day 7 even with one of those little meg lites from walmart. I just add black duck tape around it to be able to stick the egg in that a little. Worked pretty good.

8. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    if you have a TSC nearby, you can pick up a metrix 9-LED flashlight. it's about 3-4" long. costs 1.99 and is SUPER bright, several people here use them.

i picked one up, they were at the registers.

9. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I just made one out of a metal coffee can and a light fixture. I put a 40 watt bulb in with some foil between the plastic lid and the bulb and it works great.

10. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    My dh got me one of those and for 1.99 was very skeptical but at least on my ameracauna eggs it works beautifully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by