candler question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by All-American-Chick, Apr 19, 2011.

1. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    can i use a flashlight for a candler or does it need to be something special?
    if so does anyone suggest a good place to purchase one?
    renee

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Absolutely! A little LED flashlight is what I usually use. I just hold it in my hand and place the egg above the light. It works even on the darkest eggs I've ever hatched. I bought it at The Home Depot but you can find a good, high powered LED flashlight just about anywhere for under ten bucks.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have always used a good small mag flashlight nothing else. Walmart, Lowes and hardware store. I candle down into the egg from the top. Day 7 or 10 and you can really see the embryo and veining. Darken the room where the incubator is.

4. Gwyllion

Gwyllion Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    DFW, TX
    I just went to Home Depot last week and bought a 105 lumen LED flash light for about $25. I am trying to hatch out some Marans which have really dark shells so I needed something powerful! It works great! When looking for the flashlight look on the package for how many lumens it has. That will tell you exactly how bright it is. I basically bought the most lumens I could get for the price I wanted to pay. Standard cheap flashlights seem to be 10 lumens or under, so for normal eggs you could probably get a 20-30 lumen flashlight and be fine. Good Luck!

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    oh yipee i wil go find one,
    thank you for all the replys.