Candler question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickies-duckies-etc, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    I have been hatching duck, goose and now, chicken eggs for about a year using a Little Giant incubator. And I have used different types of lights to candle the eggs. Most have had limitations. [​IMG] Sooo, I bought a electric candler and was having so much fun seeing the eggs develop - then the thing broke. I have no idea what is going on in the eggs that are now in the bator unless they start making noise and hatching.

Back to square one trying to figure out what to get to use as a candler. I know some people use the mag lites.

What kind of mag lite do you use - brand, size, etc. If I invest in one of those, I would like to know if it will stand up to the use and the battery thing is doable. If the batteries have a reasonable life span and/or can be recharged.

2. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    My husband made me one from a tin coffee can. He put a hole in the bottom and wired up a light bulb inside. Works pretty good and very cheap. [​IMG]

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:That is what I use (only box instead of can) and it really does work pretty well.

4. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    Only problem I have with mine is that the hole is a bit small. I have 11 eggs in there now at day 14 and although I have never seen eyes or veining like some others the eggs are lighter and when I candle them just the big end shows through. I am hoping that means they are developing. First hatch.

5. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    i just use an LED light i think that works best for me, but i'll have to try these other suggestions

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    That is the good thing with my box. [​IMG] I can cut the hole the size I need easily. I jsut make sure the room is really dark (I always candle at night) and I saw several little eyes and tons of veins last night. I am on day 5/6 (it is a slightly staggered hatch). I would much rather have something better....I want PERFECT, but this works for now. [​IMG] I just love doing my little "chickie ultrasound". LOL

7. VanSintjan

VanSintjan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Belgium
    The best thing I've dione with hatching so far was building me a candler. A flat wooden plate with a porselein socket on and a 60W lightbulb with a loose, quit heavy wooden box over. On the top of the box I drilled a hole with a bigger wooden drill just the size of the hole in an egg cup. A piece of cardboard box with a slightl bigger hole in it makes it steadier. I put the lamp on and candle 20 eggs in 3 minutes and I see clearly what's in them even though they are brown. Well invested time and it only cost me the lampsocket and few screws. The wood is left overs from other stuff.

8. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks for all of the replys!! It sounds like a light in a box/can is the way to go. I really like to know what is going on inside of those eggs. [​IMG]

9. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Thanks for the good ideas. I am a bit frustrated with the candling thing too. I have not been able to see anything, but a dark blob that moves sometimes. I'll get right on building one. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by