Candlers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sableboi, Jan 1, 2011.

1. sableboi

sableboi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Lakeland
    Is there a "Best" when it comes to purchasing a candler?

2. turningchicken

turningchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    I am definately no pro, but I saw no need in purchasing a candler. I have only incubated 4 cluthes, but my handy strong flashlight, a dark room and cupping the egg in my hand worked very well. I even helped my 9th grade grandson do a science project and took pictures of the chicks in different stages of development. But, I AM NO PRO!!
    By the way

[​IMG]

3. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    we just use a flashlight also

4. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    I got a 110 lumen coleman flashlight from walmart for around 20 bucks. I have medium brown eggs and can see through them pretty well with my light. My regular mag-light( has 72 lumens) just wasnt cutting it. I absolutely love my new flashlight!

5. sableboi

sableboi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Lakeland
    Dang it - I was just at Wally World...will pick one up next time - Thanks!

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    little led flash light from TSC works great, the one with 1 bulb, $5

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have two. One is an LED flashlight that was $2.99 at TSC, and the other is an old Kodak slide projector. It has a really bright bulb and works quite well. But the replacement bulbs are expensive, so when it goes it will be just the cheap TSC flash.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I use a 5 and 7 lite LED flashlite, they work great, the only thing i add i a folded peice of dk duct tape so the egg fits the light (got these free)

9. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I picked up a $20 spotlight (Stanley IM series spotlight) at Lowe's today to candle my BCM brown eggs....it is day 8 today and I was going to wait till day 10, but I couldn't stand it, so I candled just one and IT WAS ALIVE! [​IMG]
    This is my first incubation attempt (with multiple temperature problems with a LG incubator)
    I am certifiably addicted now!

10. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Quote:That is so exciting -- clearly you are thrilled beyond words!!! Hooray! Those eggs you have are very hard to see.

For my fairly pale bantam cochin eggs I use a clip on lamp with a hundred watt bulb covered with a piece of cardboard with a hole in it the size of a nickel. Mine are due to hatch Monday -- I'm a wreck. [​IMG]

Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by