Candling - 6, 12 , 20 ,40 or more!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goblnfvr, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    This question is for all you folks that have large numbers of eggs in the incubator.

How do you go about candling all those eggs or do you only do some and hope for the best???

Just wondering because of the concern some people have about eggs going rotten in the incubator.

2. blackminx

blackminx Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Freeport IL
    I don't think it takes too long. You could always do a dozen or so at a time. Just pencil numbers or letters on your batches.

3. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    I have a dozen Araucana eggs in the incubator as we speak and I will be candling them all today.
    I was just wondering that if you had say 40 eggs would you candle them all or just do an average amount and hope the rest are all still developing.

As I was thinking that you need to take them out of the incubator and I will be taking them all out at the same time so that I am not opening and closing the incubator a dozen times and then put them back in.

4. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    My hen would get off her eggs for a drink and dust bath, sometimes she would be off the nest for half hour. One hen went outside to sunbath and left her eggs for ages until i picked her up to take her back and they all hatched. Ive got 24 eggs in the bater, i candle them all with the lid left off, it could take up to 20mins, ive got 2 hatched now.. Ive known people to take the lids off everyday for at least 10mins to mimic the mother hen...:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by