1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

candling a goose egg...HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by griddles, May 26, 2007.

1. griddles

griddles Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    My goose has been setting for about three & a half weeks now, I was finally able to get ahold of one of her eggs today. I candled it just now (my first attempt ever), and I dont have a clue what Im seeing or supposed to see. All I can tell was I saw most of the egg was a dark mass and I easily made out the air sac, and it seemed that although I didnt move the egg, the air sac would get smaller then reappear again. Is this because something was moving around? The shell was so thick it was difficult to tell anything. Any ideas?

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    It sounds like the egg has a developing gosling inside.

chel

3. griddles

griddles Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    Why/Explain?:|

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    The dark mass is the baby, the air cell develops as the embryo progresses, so the fact that you can not see anything is a good sign. You dont always see movement ecspecially as they toward the end and take up more of the egg.

There are websites on candling also, there is some info here on this website. Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by