Candling a lot.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by conquest780, Dec 26, 2013.

1. conquest780

conquest780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    So I started of with 7 cochin bantam eggs in my incubator. Now I am board the whole day because I have nothing to do. So the eggs are on day 4 . I candled on all the days except the first one. Now I candled and found out all 7 eggs are fertile :lol:. So my question is that candling once every day , will it harm the eggs ? (Or twice sometimes :) )

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. conquest780

conquest780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    We'll I've got to control my curiosity. Now will candle on day 18. I was just curious on how many were fertile. :D

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's advisable to candle, just not every day.
    I'm probably biased since most of my eggs are almost impossible to see anything in so I basically just have faith and only remove stinkers and leakers. I can usually see an air pocket though.
    To determine humidity I weigh the eggs when I set them and then 2 or 3 times during incubation. They should lose 13% of the weight during incubation if humidity is correct. So about 0.65% a day.
    Some eggs are more porous than others so what is correct humidity for one is not necessarily right for all.

5. Math

Math Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Most people candle around days 7, 15 and 18.
    It's best not to candle daily. Handling the eggs too much can transfer oils and bacteria, not to mention the opportunity to drop an egg.
    Especially don't candle on days 11-14 which would interrupt the embryo aligning itself with the length of the egg.

http://www.pasreform.com/academy/fr...ndle-or-not-to-candle-thats-the-question.html

http://www.brinsea.com/pdffiles/what is egg candling.pdf

Thanks for the info. I just started a setting hen on 12.23.13 and I needed this info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by