Candling a RIR egg pictures?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 5, 2012.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Does anybody have pictures of a candled RIR egg? In the process like days?

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

All chicken eggs regardless of breed will show the same developmental time points. Some day I'd like to add progression pics using white leghorn eggs and the cannon SLR. Those would be amaizing pics vs the kinda fuzzy pics of the brown eggs I have up at the moment.

Just note if you are looking for yourself, you'll want a very very very bright light to look through the brown shells. A maglight or 100led scamlight is likley not going to cut it. Good luck!

4. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I know that, but i know brown eggs are harder to see through than white ones and i saw that page here on backyardchickens. but i wanted to see what it looked like in a brown egg...

5. silkiechicken

The pics I have posted in that thread ARE brown eggs. [​IMG]

ETA: Actually, two or three of those pics are green eggs!

A white egg gives a lot more clarity.

E12 white egg:

[​IMG]

An E12 brown egg:
    [​IMG]

White eggs give so much clarity you do not have to be in a dark room to candle white eggs:
    [​IMG]

I just wish I had a full set of white egg candling pics.

If you can't see anything through your brown eggs, you probably need a brighter light. Some members on here have good success using a projector to shine through their eggs. I now use a 300lumen eagle tac flashlight. A standard maglight of any size is likely to disappoint without modifications.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  6. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the pictures. I do have a maglite.
    but i have other lights that i can probably use but not sure how bright they are since they are pretty old. but are bigger then maglites

7. silkiechicken

Ah, here is a good image of a test of your light. The light I used could see the veins through the palm of my hand. If your light can do the same to your hand, you've probably got a good enough light for the average egg.

[​IMG]

8. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    i could see the light throw my hand as well. i actually had to under my chin (ON) while i was getting the eggs and it was hot. lol
    i just bought the light yesterday so it should be pretty bright. lol.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  9. silkiechicken

Good luck! If the light is getting hot, just be mindful of how long you have it against the egg! If it's your first time hatching, I'd recommend candling just a few times to minimize variables in figuring out how to make your bator work it's best. Day 6 or 10 and day 18 would be some of the best time points to see if they are developing.

10. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    i candled again today (Day 5) and saw this:

[​IMG]

it has a dark spot inside.... not sure what it is...good/bad?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by