Candling a turkey egg questoin

Shelshanam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
Beautiful Southern Oregon!
OK so when I popped my incubator open to put in the chicken eggs for the NYD hatch 7 days after I started them, I decided to pop a flashlight behind them and see what was going on.

I'm not the best candler yet (I've been doing it since I was 14 so guess I never will be good)... But I noticed good air sacks on all the eggs, and some had veining. My question being are Turkey eggs later to develop the veining then chicken eggs? I think two out of 15 I saw the spider webs on. I'm trying to be pretty hands off and just let this go till lock down day when I will candle again really quick. I'm just hoping I have more then 2 eggs that are forming poults.

Thanks in advance!
Shelley

Keep in mind that turkey eggs take 28 days, as opposed to 21 for chickens (I would have set them a week earlier). Wait until 9 days or so, then you should be able to tell better. Good luck! I envy you, if mine were laying, I'd be collecting frozen eggs...

Keep in mind that turkey eggs take 28 days, as opposed to 21 for chickens (I would have set them a week earlier). Wait until 9 days or so, then you should be able to tell better. Good luck! I envy you, if mine were laying, I'd be collecting frozen eggs..
I did set them the week before. Today is day 10 and I probably should take another look tonight as I usually see more spider veins on the chicken eggs around this time point.

I was just wondering if turkeys follow about the same or are they delayed due to longer hatching times?

We candle ours at 10 days and then again at 12 or 13 days. If they are clear by the second candling we take them out of the bator. Right now I have 3 fertile eggs in the bator that are 14 days and we can see the movement of the babies. We set 12 more eggs two days ago as well because we have someone who wants to buy some from us when they hatch ... if we can get them to hatch. We have them grow great but hatching is a whole different world.

We candle ours at 10 days and then again at 12 or 13 days. If they are clear by the second candling we take them out of the bator. Right now I have 3 fertile eggs in the bator that are 14 days and we can see the movement of the babies. We set 12 more eggs two days ago as well because we have someone who wants to buy some from us when they hatch ... if we can get them to hatch. We have them grow great but hatching is a whole different world.

Thank you!

I confirmed last night 3 look really good and I see what looks like the beginning of a poult, a couple questionable and the rest are looking like they didn't take. Last night was day 10.

I will wait 4-5 days before I go look again and pull out what obviously didn't take and start growing.

I'm doing the happy dance over having baby turkeys!

Back
Top Bottom