Candling Accident

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crunchie, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I'm so sad. I was candling my Polish eggs tonight, watching the little blobs swimming around (love these white-shelled eggs, you can see everything!) when I dropped one!!!

I can't believe it. I didn't expect that I'd be so sad about it. There was a perfect little Polish chick in there...and now it's dead. Even worse, it was from my best pair and I have so few of their eggs in the 'bator...now I have one less. [​IMG] They are at about day 14, so it was pretty developed.

I have no idea how I dropped it. It just slipped out of my hands, a klutzy moment, I guess.

[​IMG]

2. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I have done that before also. Really bites. Anymore I try to dampen the tips of my fingers so I can get a better grip. Some will slip right out of your hands before you know it...[​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    So sorry about your egg. That is everyone's nightmare. You are not the first to drop an egg and I'm sure you won't be the last. It happens. Try not to fret too much. I make sure my hands are clean and dry before handling the eggs and if you can, move the candler next to the bator. Good Luck with the rest of your eggs.

4. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    OK, well it's good to know I'm not the only one!! [​IMG] Good news is that I only had to toss one egg that was clear--all of the rest had a bouncing baby chick inside! Of course, the 'bator is mostly full of Marans eggs, and I can't see a darn thing through those shells. I just bake & hope with those guys! [​IMG]

5. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Dont feel bad i've done it before too I felt soo! bad like I felt like
    a murdered all day.

6. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I feel badly for you!!! I so understand - did the exact same thing.

Good luck on the rest, my fingers are crossed for you.

7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I can imagine how upset you must be, but just think though, that you're bringing life to all the others. Now that's really eggciting [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by