Candling .....air sac question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Coop de Grille, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    This is my first attempt at hatching eggs. We found them in the woods by our driveway so figured we would give it a shot.

The two eggs have been in in the incubator for 3 days now. One is a darker brown and I can't see anything much through the shell. The second egg is a lighter brown and I can clearly see the air sac. It floats. Which ever way I turn the egg the air sac is on top. Does this mean it's a detached or ruptured air sac? Any chance of a successful hatch?

It's only on day three so I don't see much more in the egg. I will candle again tomorrow night and hope to see some veins.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    The odds of sucess are slim with detached air cells.

I would be worried about the age of the eggs.

3. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Is what I am seeing a detached air cell? Should it stay in one spot when I candle and turn the eggs?

The eggs couldn't have been more than a day old. I found them at 3:30 in the afternoon. I walk my driveway everyday and have never seen eggs anywhere on my property before.

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yea its probably the detached air cell. It could reattach but odds are slim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by