Candling Ameraucana Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tiffanyh, Apr 9, 2007.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    So -any advice on candling Ameraucana Eggs? I can see a developing air pocket but no matter how I try i can not see within the egg. I have a LED maglight in a pitch dark room. Like I said, the airpocket is developing but I can not see the progress of any chick inside, today is day 17. I only had two fertile out of the batch I got and this seems to be the only guys left with any hope, so I am really hldomg out for this one. What do you all think???

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I use a powerful slide projector- it gets really hot so you can't leave the egg on it for more than a few seconds, but I saw veins very well at 7 days in dark, olive green Ameraucana eggs. With a maglite? Nothing!

3. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Yes-truley nothing. It is dark-completely. There is a decent size air pocket but no matter how I hold the maglight up against it. I have a second egg to that I cant tell if it is progressing or not. I dont see any movement but I can see in that one pretty well...should I see movement now??
    Man- I feel like a anxious parent!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If today is Day 17 and you have Ameraucana eggs, you're not going to see anything, LOL! I think your window for candling is over and you just have to wait and see if they hatch, IMO.

5. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Alrighty! Thanks for the info and your time!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by