Candling and confused

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cackle, Mar 28, 2009.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I tried a couple times to candle my BR and silkie eggs which are on day 7 but I am not sure I am seeing blood vessels. I do see an air sack and there is a dark cloudy area in the top half of the egg. I thought in a few that I might see a chick forming. At this point I think I need to sit on my hands a few days and leave things alone.

At 10 or 12 days is it easier to tell if it is a viable egg?

At that point what do I look for?

Am I in danger of having a bad egg explode if I wait that long?

Thanks,

Susan

2. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    It should be much easier to see on day 10. You should also be fine on the exploding egg. I have read many times of not removing eggs till alot later, plus you would smell it first.

Good luck!

3. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I have one more question. The way the Brinsea 20 ECO is set up if I take bad eggs out the others will roll to the side. Can I put plastic Easter eggs in as place holders?

4. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I don't know on that but seems that it might work as long as it isn't working off of the weight of the egg. Hopefully someone will come along that can answer that.

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    When you say you see something dark around the top of the egg near the air sack, could this be a blood ring? At 7 days you can see tiny veins already. Hope your not seeing a blood ring.

6. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't think what I am seeing is a blood ring it take up the top half of the egg. Just cloudy looking.

7. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    I only candel once at 18 days when I stop turning. Any non fertile eggs are removed. Since doing it this way my hatch rate has gone up. The less you handel the better.

8. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:That is probably the smart thing to do... I think I will just leave them alone until day 18.

I will not touch the bator, I will not touch the bator, I will not thouch the bator..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by