Candling Arucana eggs?

scoopy82

Songster
9 Years
Dec 19, 2010
Victoria - Australia!
Hi all
smile.png

I am very new at this and currently have 2 Leg Horn hens sitting on an assortment of 6 eggs and today is day 17 - one egg is an Arucana egg. I tried to candle it before (something i need a lot of practice doing!) and all i could see was lots of darkness with an air pocket and some lines very close to the air pocket. Sorry for my very limited terminology! Does it sound like it could contain a chick? The little lines were the only thing i could really make out in there. Spose i will find out in a few days but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this kind of egg. I am just using an LED flashlight, are the proper candling lights any better?
Thanks
smile.png

I have an Americauna hen, I also have one of her eggs in the 'Bator now.

You will need an extremely bright light to be able a successfully candle it. I used an LED light as well, but it must be very, very bright in order to work. It helps if you are also in a very dark room. I use my closet.

It does sound as if there is a chick inside!
thumbsup.gif

There is no movement though - that I can see, the others that I have candled and found chicks - they have been quite active where as these little lines aren't moving. I found some bad eggs (they were originally sitting on 11) and their air pockets became huge and the insides were all the same colour with no definition of anything, obviously just runny yuk!
I'm getting really excited now - 4 days to go
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom