Candling at Day 3....

MountainChickenMama

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
I am almost at 3 days in the incubator and all I can see when I candle is a dark blob at the "fat" end of the egg....Most of the pictures I have looked at seem as though they already have veins at day 3....Are my eggs gonner's????

At day 3 I can see the beginning of veining but usually nothing more (besides the yolk and air sac). I normally don't candle at day 3 unless I overcrowd the incubator. Maybe someone with more knowledge will reply. Did you look at the pictures at the beginning of this thread?

It can be hard to tell that early, unless you have done it alot. I would support prior advice as to wait at least till day 7 or even 10.

The air cell is at the top (fat end) of the egg. It's starts as a dime-like circle that gets larger as the chick develops.

In this pic of a Day 16 egg, the empty space on the left at the top of the egg is the air cell.

230_day_16_copy.jpg

Quote:
Thank you speckledhen, what would it look like on Day 3? I am going to try to post a picture of my candling today, could you give me your opinion please?

It would be very small. Honestly, you should not be candling at Day 3. The vein network is very delicate at that stage and you could harm the embryo. I never candle that early and I've been doing it for years. Wait until at least Day 6 and you'll be more sure of what you're seeing.

Back
Top Bottom