Candling at day 5 or 6

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by astylishgirl, May 7, 2009.

1. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I have a problem. I got a shipment of eggs today that had a lot more eggs in it then I thought were coming. And these are eggs that I REALLY want!

I didn't have room in the bator for all of them. I have a group of eggs that are on day 5. Would it be possible to candle them and see if any of them are duds? At day 5 what should I see when I candle an egg?

I always thought you candle at day 10. This is my very first batch of eggs and there is a real good chance that not all of them are developing due to my inexperience and the fluctuation of the LG bator temp.

I already have two incubators. My husband says NO... to getting another one. But I have about 14 eggs sitting in a carton on the counter that I don't know what to do with!

2. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    anyone?

3. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    At day 5 you should see veining. Give it a shot! Won't hurt to try, but I'd be real hesitant to cull one this early in the game. I'm no expert by any means, just giving you my personal opinion. Maybe someone else can give you better advice.

4. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by