Candling at Day 5

Equine_Angel

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Brentwood Bay, B.C.
So I have candled my eggs yesterday which was Day 5. Out of 26 eggs, 17 have begun veining and you can see the beginnings of a little chick! YAY! However, the other 9 show the blood island and that is about it....

Will the other 9 take longer if the blood island is still showing? How would I know if they have stopped? I am hoping that they are late bloomers and will check them everyday to see if there is any sort of progression.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

Also.....my DH and I JUST BOUGHT 24 CHICKS for April pickup: Red Sussex and Red Rock (?) Craziness!!!!
smile.png

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
Day 5 is really early to make quick judgements - I usually can't see much until day 7. I don't make judgements until day 10, and I don't start culling until day 13-14. Which of course was today. . . Pretty good percentage though. Now I can't wait until they hatch!
wee.gif

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
Better than me! I'm mad at the rooster right now
somad.gif

19 eggs (two I dropped the lid on when I went to add water) so now 17. And out of candling 17 eggs, only 1 at day 6 showed any signs of growth. I can see an air cell and a blob in the others ... the yolk maybe???

I'll have to see

What kinds of chickens are you hatching?

Equine_Angel

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Brentwood Bay, B.C.
I am hatching 12 Australorps, 12 Silver-Laced Wyandottes and 2 Ameracaunas. We have also just ordered 24 chicks that will be delivered on April 7 (Red Sussex, Barred Rock varieties).

I candled one of the wyandotte eggs and you can see this little creature jumping around in there....SO CUTE!

Just hoping that the others will form...fingers crossed and I will wait...impatiently...for another few days to candle.

Top Bottom