Candling bantam Silkie eggs (pic)

erinwood86

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Indiana
I'm not really sure what I'm seeing here. This is day 4 & the first time I've candled this bunch.

I'm not really sure what I'm seeing here. This is day 4 & the first time I've candled this bunch.

Okay sweaty you are jumping the gun like the rest of us you need to sit on your hands and wait till day 7 but it still looks like you have something going on .....

Poultry addicts all the same ,,,, well at-least you are in with the right group .......

Alright if you have your vent plugs in you will need to remove them on day 7 when you do your candling .......

Having the vent plugs in starve the embryo of oxygen and the embryo fights and grows then on day 7 remove the plugs and let them have some oxygen so they can really grow ........

How is your temp and do you have still air or forced air incubator ......

I candled my first Silkie eggs on day 5 but I was really only looking for the air sack at that time. I candled again on day 10 looking for development or non-development. That is when I pulled any that were duds. I am not experienced enough yet to tell which ones might have died at that point. I candled again on day 15 to compare what I saw with the other 2 candlings to see if there was improvement. I candled the last time on the 18th and out of 26 eggs going into lockdown, I saw movement in 21 of them but that doesn't mean the other 5 won't hatch. My Silkie eggs are now on day 19 and in lockdown. I have my fingers and toes crossed.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes this is my first post! I'm not sure how I've missed this site? We've been raising chickens for years and I just came across it.
This is my first time incubating our eggs. Usually our hens are pretty good about setting, but I just none of our hens are feeling broody. So, my husband & I thought we'd give it a shot! We are using a forced air system and I always thought with banty. Eggs to check day 3-4, then again at 10, 15, 18, them leave alone. Like I said, I'm new to incubating so I'm just taking advice from others. I'm open to any & all suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom