candling Button quail eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by skyape38, Dec 12, 2009.

1. skyape38

skyape38 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore
    Question can Button eggs be candled if so when is the best time to do it. My eggs have been in the incubator for only 2 days now.
    also is there a way to make an egg candler?
    This is my very first time trying to hatch eggs

I have one more question today my inubator shot up to 102. it was fine when i left but when i returned 4 hours later it was at 102. will the eggs be ok. i fixed it as soon as i seen it that high which was as soon as i walked in the door.

Kathy

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    In My Experience..... Good Luck! They Are So Tiny And Very Dark With That Speckled Patern---- I Havent Actually Tried To Candle Buttons, But I Cant See It Being Easy. If So I'd Say 7-9 Days...

3. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I dont even try....[​IMG] but I have 10 little ones that just hatched and they are so cute.
    So it is like a surprise.

4. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    It ranges between, not easy to almost imposable.
    Candling dark mottled eggs, coturnix or buttons is very difficult.

A day to candle would be before you set them, looking for micro cracks in the shell and day 7-10, but you may just want to let them all ride, and see what happens.

5. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I candled mine, using a very powerful flash light, even then it was hard to see inside, but it was easy to distinguish between the developed ones and the clear ones at day 10.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I candled my Texas A&M and it worked fine. Some of the smaller ones were a little harder to candle. But, I could see in mine fine. I would say by day 5 or 6 you should be able to see if anything is developing.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It is not impossible to candle button eggs, but you aren't going to see much. I usually wait until I'm moving them to the hatcher before I even bother, by that time you should be able to tell if the egg is 'full' or clear or 'half full'. Obviously, a 'full' (completely dark except the air cell) egg would have a chick in it, a clear egg would have nothing, and a 'half full' egg would be one that started to develop and quit.

8. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Cool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by