Candling Coturnix Quail Eggs (did I do it right)?

AndreaGS

Songster
11 Years
Sep 12, 2008
West Sacramento, CA
I tried candling the jumbo cortunix eggs I have in the 'bator right now. This is my first time hatching, and I built the 'bator and the candler (box with aluminum foil on the inside over a halogen lamp). So this is all very new to me!

I candled four of them tonight - the lighter ones with the least brown blotches. I'm on day 13. Of the 4, 3 I could make out an air cell very clearly, and the rest of the egg was dark. One of them lit up easily, and had a small, irregular-shaped dark spot that moved around when I tilted the egg. I'm guessing it was a partially developed embryo?

So am I doing this right? Does this mean that the 3 that were dark are alive? I had a couple temp fluctuations in the beginning, so I'm really hoping they hatch!

Quote:
It sounds like the one may not be alive anymore HOWEVER do not pitch any!
smile.png
If they dont stink leave them in.
smile.png
hugs.gif
YOu're doing great almost there!!!
celebrate.gif

At day 13 with Quail they should all be dark. As for the dark spot moving when you tilt the egg, if bad, you should be able to smell it through the shell. If not, just wait the other 11 days, if I remember correctly Quail take 24 days to hatch. If the egg starts smelling only then would I remove it.

Thanks monarc! I didn't throw any away - nothing smells (yet
tongue.png
). I have the brooder set up next to the incubator and I am crossing my fingers SO HARD.
fl.gif
:fl:fl

Quote:
fl.gif
im sure they will be well! Please be sure to post them on the other fowl thing when they hatch. I dont always check here and since im almost always on the other fowl part,I know i'd see it there! LOL!
celebrate.gif

Andrea,

I wasnt able to see anything really on my coturnix so I tossed two that had cracks and left the rest in the inubator. It was kind of fun actually because i had no idea how many might hatch. Getting close.. only a few more days!
smile.png

Nancy

Okay, I have golden pheasant, oh and eggs on the way for the red golden pheasants
wee.gif
, I also have peafowl. Now I am going to have to look up the coturnix quail - just to see what they are.

Back
Top Bottom