Candling Coturnix Quail Eggs (did I do it right)?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AndreaGS, Mar 29, 2009.

1. AndreaGS

AndreaGS Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    West Sacramento, CA
    I tried candling the jumbo cortunix eggs I have in the 'bator right now. This is my first time hatching, and I built the 'bator and the candler (box with aluminum foil on the inside over a halogen lamp). So this is all very new to me!

I candled four of them tonight - the lighter ones with the least brown blotches. I'm on day 13. Of the 4, 3 I could make out an air cell very clearly, and the rest of the egg was dark. One of them lit up easily, and had a small, irregular-shaped dark spot that moved around when I tilted the egg. I'm guessing it was a partially developed embryo?

So am I doing this right? Does this mean that the 3 that were dark are alive? I had a couple temp fluctuations in the beginning, so I'm really hoping they hatch!

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:It sounds like the one may not be alive anymore HOWEVER do not pitch any! [​IMG] If they dont stink leave them in. [​IMG] [​IMG] YOu're doing great almost there!!! [​IMG]

3. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    At day 13 with Quail they should all be dark. As for the dark spot moving when you tilt the egg, if bad, you should be able to smell it through the shell. If not, just wait the other 11 days, if I remember correctly Quail take 24 days to hatch. If the egg starts smelling only then would I remove it.

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:no these are coturnix they take only 18 at the most [​IMG]

5. AndreaGS

AndreaGS Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    West Sacramento, CA
    Thanks monarc! I didn't throw any away - nothing smells (yet [​IMG]). I have the brooder set up next to the incubator and I am crossing my fingers SO HARD. [​IMG]:fl:fl

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG] im sure they will be well! Please be sure to post them on the other fowl thing when they hatch. I dont always check here and since im almost always on the other fowl part,I know i'd see it there! LOL! [​IMG]

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Andrea,

I wasnt able to see anything really on my coturnix so I tossed two that had cracks and left the rest in the inubator. It was kind of fun actually because i had no idea how many might hatch. Getting close.. only a few more days! [​IMG]

Nancy

8. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Okay, I have golden pheasant, oh and eggs on the way for the red golden pheasants [​IMG], I also have peafowl. Now I am going to have to look up the coturnix quail - just to see what they are.

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:If you go to the other fowl forum you can learn all about them [​IMG]

10. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Oh hubby would just love that. Here goes another pen and coop. I must have 1000s tied up in the ones already built. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by