Candling Danger Studies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Feb 20, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I know why people candle their eggs.
    My question is, have there ever been any studies done to determine whether or not candling can cause any harm to a developing embryo?
    Shock of some sort perhaps? I know that my intent is to blast a 240 Lumens light into mine to see where I'm at... The question is should I???
    Thoughts?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think that the minute amount of time we are shining that light in there is not nearly enough time to do any damage.

3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
  4. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    wow, I use a 35 lumen mini maglite and i can see very clearly, i would like to know how yours works [​IMG]

5. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Well, I know it seems like overkill, but I am going to need something to see inside some nice Marans & Wellie eggs. I know your standard light will have trouble penetrating these.
    For standard eggs I would not have gone so high.

ETA: The good thing is that it can be set at different levels-
    The REDLINE has 5 lighting modes, 100% white light (220 lumens), 50% white light (110 lumens), 10% white light (22 lumens), S.O.S. mode (220 lumens), or emergency strobe mode (220 lumens).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  6. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Quote:Ah, I see. Well, good luck candling and I am going to bookmark the amazon page, that flashlight would be great to have!

7. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I think many of the more powerful LEDs out there come with different settings, however many are more expensive when you get into the 'high lumens'. This one seemed to have a good combo of features/price. I will follow up here with some feedback after I get it next week... (I just ordered it tonight [​IMG])

8. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    I use a 120 lumen Colemen light everytime I candle. They seem fine when they hatch. My hatch rates are really high too. I dont spend a bunch of time on each egg so I dont think it hurts. I think Its worth the risk to make sure there are no potential "exploding" bacteria bombs in your Bator.[​IMG] .I have darker eggs.

9. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I use a 60 lumen Black and Decker LED light. I really like it.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    For embryos that are already borderline viable I would suspect it's more the handling rather than the candling that would endanger them. I often have to remind my kids to handle the eggs gently while we're candling.

Unless you're candling every other day I would not think the brief light exposure would injure them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by