candling day 4

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sherriwv, Feb 12, 2015.

1. sherriwv

sherriwv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    I think I have 7 for sure developing and another 5 in question! Started off with 22 eggs and 2 showing hairline cracks. Since this is my first time I am questioning the maybes, one of them looks like something dark is floating around but see no veining. Also I seen a small blood line in one so who knows what all I have going on! Second guessing myself. Pretty excited though after seeing some veining.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Candling on Day 4 is really risky. Not all eggs develop in exactly the same way. Some shells are a lot harder to see inside than others. I never candle until Day 7 and with some of my eggs, especially the green ones, it’s still hard to see inside.

Candling is a lot of fun, pure excitement, but patience is your best friend.

1 person likes this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I agree with RR. Hi. My name is Lazy gardener, and I'm a candling addict! I just love to see the miracle of life unfolding inside those eggs. So, I'll candle a few at day 4, and often will candle at least an egg/day when I open the bator to turn those eggs. Mama hen gets off the clutch on a regular basis for her eat and dump, so I don't think there's any harm done by sneaking an egg out. Any eggs after day 7 that are ?able, get marked with a big ? mark. I always err on the side of caution before removing any eggs. Just be super careful, and cradle those eggs well, as I think (IMO) those vascular systems are pretty delicate. Days 10 - 14 are the best. What an incredible sight to witness a chick dancing around in the shadows of the egg.

1 person likes this.
  4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yes, while it is soooo attractive to candle, it is really much safer for the eggs and developing chicks to handle the eggs only as nesscessary. Also, day 4 is too early to be reliable - which means you will have to candle again at around day 10. I don't know how many times I have read of people dropping eggs (usually onto another egg, damaging them both) and killing developing embryos, much to their guilt and despair.

5. sherriwv

Jan 29, 2015
    All these eggs were shipped and I have read that the hatch rate isn't good. Planning on candling again on day 10 so keeping my fingers crossed!

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I found my twin!!!!! [​IMG] I too am a candling addict. Once a day, especially after day 7, I will check 3/4 of the eggs (different ones each night) for progress and to monitor the air cells. Days 7/14/18 I candle all of them and mark my air cells. I also mark any questionable ones with a ? and I usually try to put them all in the same area of the bator/egg turner.
    Of course I take all the precautions, hand washing, gentle touch. Love seeing the progression.

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    sherriwv - is the wv for West Virginia? I'm in WV! Good luck to you!

8. sherriwv

Jan 29, 2015
    yes..West Virginia..

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm so good that if the bator is not too full, I can candle where they lay without even picking them up!

1 person likes this.
  10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by