Candling day 6 - Trader Joe's eggs - seeing amnion without embryo?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OCchickens, Apr 13, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I've candled a set of Trader Joe's fertile eggs that I'm incubating - day 6 today - they all look like they have good vein development but I've only seen an actual embryo in a few of them. The rest it looks like I'm seeing the amniotic sac, in some cases moving, at the center of where the veins branch out & right next to the air sac, but not the actual embryo. These are white eggs.

I'm hopeful that this is a good batch (I've tried a few times before with TJ's and had little or no development) & maybe I'll see more in several days. Just wondered whether anyone had seen something like this before. I haven't seen it on my previous batches (not TJ's eggs).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine looked like spiders at that stage. Little red dots with veins attached. Not exactly embryo looking.

Oh how we love "Joey" from our Trader Joes eggs! She got yucky poopy feathers today from laying below the roost, and I gave her a light rinsing in the sink. She was such a good girl and didn't complain a bit. She is the most docile and loving of all our chickens. I sure hope you have success! I hope you have a big batch chicks!

3. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Hi GardeNerd! Nice to hear from you!

I'm excited about these TJ's eggs!! This is about the 5th batch I've tried. These were 3-4 days old when I set them out, from what I could tell. I tried one that were about 4-5 d old a week earlier and only 1 developed & quit about day 5.

I have 8 that look good! I candled again this morning & saw embryos moving in 3; the rest look like the same amount of veins & development so I think they'll be good too.

I'm glad to hear that Joey has turned out to be such a nice little chicken. Still looking like a hen?

We got 3 ducklings yesterday -- a mom brought a batch to school & was planning to take them to the feed store -- I couldn't pass them up! They're darling![​IMG]

4. jeneralee

jeneralee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    I HAVE EGGS LIKE THAT TOO RIGHT NOW. I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE EITHER BUT THE VEINING LOOKS SO HEALTHY..I DECIDED NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT. THE EGGS I'M TALKING ABOUT ARE ALSO WHITE AND ARE AT DAY 11. STILL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM SEEING SOME OF THEM BUT A FEW HAVE MADE APPEARANCES. GUESS WE'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE. MY EGGS ARE CRESTED BLUE SWEDISH.

5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That was about our average actually being fertile in each dozen from Trader Joes. We never counted more than 9 when we cracked them open to look for the fertile dots. So you are doing great!

Joey is a pullet. Yeah! We are all doing well and enjoying Spring Break. Glad to see you are still enjoying your chicks and hatching, too. I keep wanting to do more batches. It is hard to resist. I have yet to pack the incubator away, so we'll see!

6. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Quote:jeneralee your duck picture is so cute!! I'm all about my baby ducks right now. They are so sweet. They burrowed into my jacket & took a nap this evening. Bliss!

Let me know how yours develop. Best wishes!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by