Candling, day 7, day 10, or both?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 1, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I see that some people candle at day 7, but if any of the eggs don't look good, they keep them until day 10 anyways. So why not just wait till day 10 to start with? Is it just because ya'll can't wait that long? LOL.

Also, this being my first time, anyone know where I can find some pictures of what good eggs and bad eggs look like when you candle them?

2. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I actually don't candle until day 14. Then, the good eggs are easily distinguishable from the "quitters"

Also, I have read that the eggs are the most sensitive to temperature changes in their first two weeks, so that is another reason why I wait so long.

3. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Some people candle for the first time on day 7 just to check for development vs. clears. It's easy to see if they're clear or not at that point, but that's a tricky day (too early, really) to check for quitters, so they usually wait on those until around day 12 or so.

Personally, I check for development early, so I can remove clears right away. Day 4 is the first day to really see that. You look for the characteristic red "spider" or "angel" shape, a small tracery of veins.

Here's a site with a lot of pics (duck eggs, but still, most photos are still applicable):

http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/index.html

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Here's another BYC heresy. I don't candle until day 18 when I move eggs to the hatcher. Personally I don't see why I need information on development before then.
    I have 2 large cabinet incubators: 1 for incubating & 1 for hatching so room isn't an issue. I've seen people say it's important to remove bad eggs so they don't explode but I've never had that happen.
    I don't necessarily think that candling earlier is harmful I just think it's not necessary
    I do think that candling daily as some seem to want to do is excessive and probably harmful. That's just too much handling and too many temp & humidity changes.
    Anyway, that's how I do it and I've successfully hatched a few thousand eggs that way.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I usually candle around day 10 and then a lot of times not until I move them to the hatcher. If I'm needing the space I'll candle in between to clear any clears out to open up the space.

6. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Quote:Well, you don't *need* it, I guess. You could just not candle at all and be fine most of the time. Although, if you've ever had an egg explode on you, you might be a little more pro-active on the candling. I had an egg explode under a broody hen once, so it can happen under even the best conditions. I just like to get the bad or null eggs outta there... I even candle the ones under my broodies.

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'm thinking I'll candle on day 10, and day 18. Dont think I could wait clear up to 18... be too curious LOL.

8. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Its the end of day 9 and they are alot harder to see than when i looked at 4. I am just so nervous that they wont hatch I check one or so every day to see if they are still alive. I have to quit. Its only making me more nervous. No peeking. Ok on 18 I am peeking. Thats it. No more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by