candling day seven

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cici_p, Mar 29, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    OMG I saw the embryo! That is so cool!!
    Only problem is I only found the embryo in two eggs.
    Another one had what looked like veining but I couldn't find an embryo.
    Another one had what possibly looked to be the beginnings of veining (or wishful thinking, not sure, lol).
    Of the other four, one had a large (far larger than the embryos) dark spot in the middle. What could this be?
    Another one looked like it had a second air pocket--It had one where it should be at the top, but also had another line about halfway down the egg--waaay too big for a regular air pocket (It didn't look like a blood ring, either). Don't know what this was either.
    The last two just didn't seem to have anything.
    Thoughts? I am planning on leaving everything in the 'bator, since nothing is smelling bad, and I might as well. I was just wondering if things could still develop when it seems like they haven't yet.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im far from an expert but Im an avid candler and I dont know aobut some of the stuff you asked but I do know I have had eggs with viens but coudnt see embryos and were shure they werent good but then when I candled on day 11 they were there I guess they were hideing in the middle of the eggs or something. usually I see babies by day 7 but dont give up .[​IMG]

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Now the thing I've noticed in candling, and I'm far from an expert, is that it seems like they don't all develop at the same rate so you're not going to have all eggs look uniformly developed. Don't do anything until you candle again at 14 days. Some of the ones that look iffy may still catch up and some of the ones that don't look like there's anything there may have something in there that you missed. I candled eggs at 7 days and could only see 6 of my turkey eggs developing but I candled again last night and it looks like there's something in every single egg. WOOT!

4. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Oh, thanks! That is inspiring. I didn't even mark which eggs had development and which didn't because I didn't want to have negative thoughts towards the others. LOL. The one I am really curious about is the one with the very large dark spot in the middle. It is about as large as a quarter or so, much larger than the teenty little embryos in the other eggs. No veining that I saw in it either.
    Does anyone know what this is?

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    No sorry I dont know , maybe its just a really big embryo?
    Did you collect these eggs youreself maybe one of youre chickens sat on one for a few days.

6. SpunkyChicken

SpunkyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I candled my eggs last night at day 4 and saw that 11 out of 15 clearly have viens and embryos (plus one questionable egg with slight veining but no embryo). I did notice that the yolks were darker and more prominent in some eggs than others... parhaps that is the "quarter-sized" thing you are seeing? Just a thought, sounds like what you're seeing is considerably darker though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by