Candling, do I need to do all the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tororider, May 27, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Songster

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    So I got a more powerful flashlight(Leatherman from Costco for $30) and can see that there are viable embryos in there, so cool! My 3 year old thought it was especially awesome. I have 32 eggs in the incubator, my question is do I need to candle all of them. I have done a handfull and they all seemed to have live embryos wiggling around. Advice will be appreciated.

Last edited: May 27, 2008

2. mangled

mangled Songster

Yep, all of them.

The one you wouldn't candle, if your luck is *anything* like mine, would go rotten and start seeping on day 18 when you're trying to get your humidity up, LOL.

Good luck!
    Em

3. Yes, I'd candle them all. I usually candle all of mine & then I mark the ones I'm unsure of with a ? and the ones that are clear, I chuck. The others, I keep in there. If you don't candle them all, you'll end up with stinky, sweating eggs or worse, one that will blow up....

4. tororider

tororider Songster

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Just so I am clear on what I am looking for, I can see veins and embryos in some of them. Some seem to be opaque and I can't tell if there is something in there. I am only throwing away the ones that are clear??? Are they going to be stinky now, or can I just put them down the disposer? I am at day 14. Thanks

5. mangled

mangled Songster

Anything that looks clear at day 14, I would toss. If they have dark blobs in them, or you can see them moving, err on the side of caution and keep them. My husband laughs, but when I candled at day 14, I smelled each egg. I had one that I thought was a little "off", so I wrote a big ? on it, and when I went in on day 18 to remove the turner, it was seeping and smelly. I had him chuck it way out into the woods. Phew.

By day 14, you should see quite a bit of chick in each egg.
    Good luck.

Em

edited to add: I missed the disposal thing. I don't know if I'd put them in the disposal. You probably would be okay, but why risk a rotten egg in the disposal? Yuck!

Last edited: May 27, 2008

6. tororider

tororider Songster

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Well, of the 33 eggs I started with in the bator, on Day 14, today, 30 of them look as though they are still going. This makes me happy because I thought for sure I would have messed something up by now. Its kind of cool to see the little things wiggling around in there.

7. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Songster

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I candle before they go in the incubator checking for cracks, bacteria, etc. [​IMG] on day 7, [​IMG] on day 14, again when I quit turning on day 18. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by