1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

candling duck eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HHenderson, Nov 16, 2015.

1. HHenderson

HHenderson New Egg

Nov 16, 2015
    Hey. I need some help here. First time trying to incubate duck eggs. I'm on day 20 and I'm not sure if my eggs are growing or what. I've read every Web page I can find but I still have concerns. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. One of my eggs that I could see movement I yesterday now has no movement and has a thick dark reddish "vein" across the fat end of the egg. Another egg that was moving yesterday is completely dark inside and seems as if the duckling has filled the entire egg. Air sac is fairly large and seems to have grown. Do yall think that one should hatch soon? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I'd post in a different forum more specific to your question. This one is more of a meet and greet for new members.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you check with the members on the duck forum, they should be able to help you out. Here's a link to get you there:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with your hatch! What breed of ducks are you hatching?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Great questions for folks on the duck thread. Sorry I don't know much about them. Glad you joined the BYC flock.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! As the duckling progresses through incubation the veins can and do become thicker as the duckling requires more blood and nutrients to develop. They don't always move all the time so you may just have missed it, I know I have when candling.
    Here is a link you might like to check out ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/304863/duck-egg-candling-photo-diary
    Lots of great pics to compare your eggs against. If you could post some pics in the duck section link that NorthFKChick left for you I'm sure the duck experts will be able to help you.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by