Candling Duck & Turkey Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LadyBirdsPalace, Jun 21, 2011.

1. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    I just candled my eggs at 7 days, all the duck eggs are awesome! Got my little spider-vein looking business going on inside just like you see in all the pictures!

My turkey eggs not so much, two are looking good after a considerable amount of more looking as they are a little darker in colour and have spots. One I just see a large dark area but I think I will check this one in a couple more days as might just need a little more time but there are two that I have questions about...

1) It's runny! As I move it I can see liquid sloshing around in there and I didn't see this in any of the other eggs.

2) It appears to have red lines, but I can't see that spot in the center of them, PLUS, I think there is a very faint crack in it that I didn't notice on day one. I'm thinking this one is a No-Go, and I should pull it asap...

Feedback please!

Thank you!

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Duck eggs are my favorite to candle since they easy to see inside.

I think I would pull the runny egg as that may be the stage before you get the rotten egg and leave the other for a couple of days. I don't know if it will develop but sure hate to pull it to soon.

3. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    Yes, probably should - are they not fertilized when runny?

As for the other (cracked?) one, it's the tiniest hint of light shining thru and it's about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of an inch long - but I'm not positive if it's cracked or scratched and just showing more light thru. I didn't even notice it last week when I put them in... and I went over them all and didn't put another one in cause it appeared mildly cracked.

Thank you for your input corancher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by