Candling EE eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by buckeye lady, Jan 11, 2009.

1. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    5 brown mutts and 4 green EEs in Bator. Today is day 5. Brown eggs have all have "blobs". I can't see a thing through these green eggs! Can green eggs be candled?

2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I'm in the same boat 18 green and blue eggs. Candled today (day 3). I saw a few blobs if anything at all. How can I tell if they are viable eggs?[​IMG]

3. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    the only way i know that it can be done is to break them open and have a look..

4. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    I was going to say simply "you cant" but thought that too short of an answer.

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm not going to spell this right but, how many lumens (sp) does your light have. I have one with 80 and I can see in some of them.

6. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    I've tried several different bulbs. 25-100 watts, incandescent and fluorescent.

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Have you tried a flash light? Thats what I use. Theres a name for them I think it's LED but I'm not sure. Hope someone can help with that.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  8. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I am using a large flash light under a popcorn tin with a hole cut in the bottom. I can see a little in a few but most are too dark. It is a little early for mine I think. [​IMG]

9. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I have EE's in the bator too. I bought a little LED flashlight at Home Depot. I can see in the EE's a little bit, but not really great. The LED light works great on my light colored Silkie eggs though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by