Candling eggs, am i doing it right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Anniewhereugo, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Anniewhereugo

Anniewhereugo New Egg

Mar 5, 2012
    I use a toilet paper roll (empty of course) and a flashlight and i can see the glow and make out the yoke, but I don't see any fertile spot. The hens are laying well and the rooster is about 8 months old....is he maybe too young? I have broken open a few eggs (and ate them of course) and don't see any fertile spots. I am getting my 1588 in a few days and would love to start a batch right away. Is there anywhere go buy eggs over the net, other than mcmurray?

thanks
    Annie

2. chiknaddiction

chiknaddiction Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    DeSoto, Missouri
    You shouldn't see any development until they've been in the incubator for 2-3 days or unless you let a broody hen sit on them a couple days before you collect them. There's some really good info on everything you need to know for collecting, incubating, candling (egg development) under the learning center page on this site. I'm doing the same thing right now. :)

3. Anniewhereugo

Anniewhereugo New Egg

Mar 5, 2012
    Okay, maybe my question should have been "Is my rooster old enough to reproduce?:" He certainly tries. hahaha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by