Candling eggs - bacterial ring?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hpotter, Mar 22, 2015.

1. hpotter

hpotter New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    We are incubating eggs for the first time, and have five pekins and three orpingtons in there. We candled yesterday (day 5) and four pekins seem veiny, one just seems porous and hard to tell. One orp appears clear, again one too porous, the third has what appears to be a bacterial ring - is this correct? I assume we need to remove it quickly to avoid contaminating others. Thanks [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. hpotter

hpotter New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. hpotter

hpotter New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    This doesn't look anything like a bacterial ring. From what I know a bacterial ring is dark and goes around the middle of the egg.

I'm not sure what this eggs case is. But what I'd do is move to the other end of the incubator, away from the other eggs but still in the incubator, candle it again in a few days and see what progress it makes

5. hpotter

hpotter New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Thanks for the reply!

I see what you mean, it does look bigger than bacterial rings as it seems to cut the egg in half. It is a dark orange ring though, seems to go around the yolk.

I can't move it anywhere sadly as we are using a Brinsea mini so nowhere to go. Not sure whether just to remove it now or risk a few more days?

6. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    If I were you I'd leave it in their for about one or two more days, and if it looks very different then the other eggs, just remove it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by