Candling Eggs... Concerned

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chriwils, Apr 20, 2018.

1. chriwils

chriwils Hatching

Apr 20, 2018
    This is my first time incubating eggs, and I am doing it with my kindergarten class. Today is day 10, and I candled the eggs. I can see evident veins in a few eggs, but in some all I see is a very dark mass. The dark mass looks different from a regular egg that is not developing, so I am thinking that their might be something going on in there? Maybe? It is hard to get my classroom completely dark, so maybe that is why I am having a hard time seeing all of the details. The hallway lights are always on in the school, and those lights shine into my classroom. I am a novice, so I really have no idea. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Without complete darkness and a very bright candling light, it's impossible to get a good view. Some eggs are also more difficult b/c of shell color. Is there a closet in your class room? What about taking the eggs to the bathroom? Or are there windows in there also? Is there a janitor's closet that you could use? If your school has an after hours lock down policy, surely, you could take those eggs to a closet somewhere during the day to candle them.

WVduckchick likes this.
  3. chriwils

chriwils Hatching

Apr 20, 2018
    Yes, those are all options for sure. Thanks for your input! I was mainly concerned with the fact that I may have some eggs in my incubator that are not fertile, and I have been told to remove them, but I am not sure what I should be seeing at this point.

4. GreenbrierChickens

GreenbrierChickens Songster

Aug 2, 2017
    Maryland
    Could be a gross pic, but this is a 10 day old egg that cracked when the hen pushed it out of the box. I opened it up and the membrane stayed in tact.

MVIMG_20180420_174001.jpg

5. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    That's so cool! great pic!:clap

WVduckchick likes this.
  6. beckycrouch5115

beckycrouch5115 Chirping

Jun 28, 2015
    Louisiana
    I am following this thread. I have 7 eggs under a broody hen right now and this is my first go at it also. I'm gonna candle them this weekend. I have never done that before. I did order a candling flash light so maybe it'll help me out. Wishing you luck on your babies!! I am also a school teacher and I may try to do that with my school kids to!!!

WVduckchick likes this.
  7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more

Also I'd like to mention a bright flash light with at least 500 lumens makes a huge difference to me, as far as what I see in an egg, compared to a 200 lumens light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: