Candling eggs Day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenwoods, May 4, 2008.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Ive searched and cant find what an egg candled will look like at day 21, ive heard you will start to see a thing moving into the air sack? but not sure..

The eggs are all DARK!! cannot see anything on the big side,but right next to the airsac you can see blood veins.

The eggs dont stink,theyre not weeping or anthing...
    just dark.no light will shine through for the most part.
    Last week i could see chicks moving around in them but now just dark...Is this a good thing??????????

I have heard no noises from the eggs.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your not suppose to candle chicken eggs on day 21...when you stop turning on day 18 thats the last that you candle til your hatch happens...Opening the incubator from day 19 to 21 will cause your temps and humidity to go down and your hatch might not happen at all....

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh God! Dont open it! You could accidentally kill them. No peeking from day 18 til finish. I hope they are ok...

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Let us know how things work out. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chickenwoods

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Well its a hen not a incubator,When she got up for a bite to eat i looked at them.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Glad to know it wasn't an incubator... [​IMG]

7. chickenwoods

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    So should the hen of got up?? Does she not know what she is doing?, Whats the diffrence in opening the incubator,or a hen getting up off the nest?This is the first time i have had a broody,so really its all new to me.

Does the desciption of the eggs sound good to anybody?

8. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh! You scared me. That's what mine look like big dark globs and veins. Its harder to see anything the bigger they get. Good question about the hen getting up. I hope someone can answer that...Give em a few more days before you worry. somebody on here posted about their eggs pipping and its day 27 maybe they just developed slowly because they werent as warm as they should be. Good luck!

9. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Remember this is artifical incubating and the more times you have a fluctuation in humidity especially if ther is a pip then you are risking killing the chick. Beleive me I did it with my first hatch. I lost everyone of them. This past friday I did candle my eggs on day 23 after hatching a majority just so I could toss the rest and I ended up with one I saw in the air cell and now a healthy chick. Only do it if it is necessary.

10. chickenwoods

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Day 22 , i came home from work excpecting to hear Chirping.but no chirping.

I could not see any of the eggs because she was on them..
    When she hears a chirp does she get up? and see her chics or what?

Does she get up when she feels them moving under her?
    How long after one chick hatches will she continue to set ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by