candling eggs handling eggs ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepsthebrassy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. peepsthebrassy

peepsthebrassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    will it effect the chicks in the egg if i handle them too much. sometimes i forget to wash my hands before touching them. will that effect them? im tiring not to but it is not a habit yet. 2nd time hatching chicks.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. Hannahloveshens

Hannahloveshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    In the wild a broody hen leaves the nest for half an hour a day so you can handle the eggs for that long a day if you so desire cancelling the eggs does not effect the chicks at all, if possible try to wash your hands as much as possible as you don't want bacteria getting in your bator many thanks hannahloveshens

3. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Maybe put a bottle of hand sanitizer in front of the incubator but I would say definitely make sure your hands are dry first or put a sticky not on the incubator to remind you.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Good thought Okie re: the hand sanitizer, but I would hesitate because of the many chemicals in the sanitizer. My suggestion might be to put a big sign on the top of the incubator with a reminder to wash hands. BTW, I'm a candling addict, and also need to remind myself to wash my hands.

Also, with some practice and the right set up, it's possible to candle eggs while they are still in the incubator. You won't be able to do all of them that way, but you can do a few, and that just might give you your "dancing chick" fix without handling the eggs so much.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I wondered about that too @lazygardener I thought if they waited for their hands to be dry from it, it would help at least with some of the chemical transfer I beleive it's mostly alcohol with moisturizer added but I may be wrong. I like the post it note/sign idea best lol

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. peepsthebrassy

peepsthebrassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    thanks all for your good info

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I am also a candling addict. I don't candle all the eggs every night, but I do candle 3-4 maybe even 5 different ones each night. I make sure my hands are clean. My set up is upstairs and there is no bathroom upstairs so I keep a package of wipes up here. That way if I am already up here, and usually I am, I use the wipes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by