Candling eggs is part of the most enjoyable part.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluejeans, Mar 18, 2018.

1. bluejeans

bluejeans Songster

Jul 25, 2012
    New Mexico
    No need to candle eggs untill day 5 .. After Day 5 you will easly see if your eggs are fertile. Than candle a week after that up untill that last crucial 4 or 5 days. The cooling of eggs during candling does not matter. It may even be helpful for duckling embryos . you can learn a whole lot by candling your eggs. And you can remove dead embryos before their eggs explode and make a mess over other eggs in incubator.(

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I don't like to disturb until ten days because of the developing veins. They get a little sturdier after a week has passed

If your eggs are brown, you're not likely to see anything until at least a week has passed. Some green eggs are impossible to reliably candle until they hatch.

HuskerHens18 and chonsey like this.
  3. Candling is my favorite part next to watching them actually hatch :D I'm candling today actually! Super excited!

sylviethecochin likes this.
  4. bluejeans

bluejeans Songster

Jul 25, 2012
    New Mexico
    I did not know that about some green eggs. Why do you think that is?
    Great i hope you have loafs of fun and the best hatch ever .

5. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Honestly, I don't know why. I think it may have to do with the double factor of having a blue shell and a brown coating. I had one olive egg last year that I wasn't sure actually had a chick in it until it hatched!

EDT: Actually, I'd be curious to hear if anyone's ever candled a Marans Egg (six or better) and has pictures.

6. PinkyLee

PinkyLee Songster

Oct 9, 2014
    What should I see... the actual embreo? Mine just have like a darker shade the longer in the incubator the more shadow... I have a Ovascope... but I don't get it... maybe I don't have anything fertile ...whah. I have 8 turkey eggs I got off eBay that are suppose to be fertile so we'll see.... I hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: