1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling Eggs - Pictures!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LuannKeller, Dec 10, 2008.

1. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    I love candling my eggs. I use my projector because it is bright but cool light. Here are photos of 3 results of eggs candled after 5 days in the incubator.

Healthy embryo below
    [​IMG]

Dead embryo below (small red mass with a few disconnected veins - will be death ring soon)
    [​IMG]

Infertile (or non-developing) below
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Very cool! Thank you for sharing these.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Such a GREAT idea to use the projector! Wonderful & educational pics you shared. Thanks. [​IMG]

4. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Awesome photos!!

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    What else can you use to candle? I'd like to take a peek at some eggs... would be a good thing for my homeschooled kiddos to see.

6. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Good idea for the lighting. Thanx a lot 4 sharing! [​IMG]

I can't wait 2 have a broody in the spring!!! [​IMG]

7. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    HenMama2-- I did this with my boys last year and just used a normal flashlight in a dark room [​IMG] Or a lightbulb in a box...

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks! I think we'll take a peek at the two eggs that I think my broody pushed out of her nest this morning.

9. lemoniee

lemoniee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    Hey!
    they are great photos! i tried to candle mine last night with a torch before i locked the chickens up for bedtime but dont think the torch was strong enough? how soon should I be expecting to see something in the egg when i try candling? should I be using a brighter torch? our hen has been sitting on the eggs in the 6th July so wer near to the day21! cant wait!! [​IMG]
    thanks

10. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    I am so glad you posted this post.. We were just last night trying to candle and did not have a bright enough light. We have a projector.. I will be using it to candle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by