Candling eggs (?) that are to be eaten

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arcnadius, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    DH read a book on raising chickens to prepare for our future flock. He said the book mentioned candling eggs meant for consumption so that "miscarried" eggs can be discarded...? Anyone else do this, or heard about doing this?

2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I beleve eggs at the store that we buy are candled.. My friend candles eggs sge gonna sell. I've never candled my eggs, but I always as with store bought, crack in a seperate bowl to check for blood spots.
    You have to take a really good flashlight, turn off lights and look at the egg.
    Hopefully someone else will anserew who's done it, I would like to learn how cause the chickens are starting to produce more n more everday [​IMG]

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    The way I understand it, commercial eggs are electronically "candled" for meat spots, blood spots and cracks--the discards go to bakeries and into stuff like cake flour. Aside from a visual for cracks, if you're going to candle every egg you're going to eat you'll probably lose your eyesight looking for these minor spots. As said above, crack into a bowl before using and, if egg or meat spots are present, pick them out--they won't hurt anything. I would only bother to check any eggs I discovered in a hidden nest just to make sure the embryos hadn't started to develop.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What woodmort said.

Plus, candling just looks into eggs, and when I crack 'em, I'm certainly looking into 'em a whole lot more efficiently.

I'm just guessing, and maybe making a judgment here, but anybody who candles before eating in order to discover possible icky things has a whole lot more time on his/her hands AND some persnickety "issues."

Plastic covers over the arms of sofas, paper strips across toilet seats at home, flip-flops to wear in the shower, no pets in the house, wear rubber gloves to do stuff unrelated to cleaning house.......

Not the sort of person who would laugh with relief when a favorite chicken poops on your lap and it's NORMAL poop.

5. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    [​IMG]

Hubby's comment threw me for a loop, too! I prefer to live life on the edge...Give me a scissors marathon any day over paper-covered toilet seats!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by