Candling Eggs - Very Porous

NoSpringChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
SE PA
I'm an anxious first time hatcher on Day 4.....

so I've candled them several times already....

I got them from three different people on Ebay and some of my eggs are very porous....

on that one site someone posted on candling....it said that it depended on the severity of the pours.....can anyone elaborate on this...are these eggs doomed? What does it mean when they are porous?

No it doesn't mean they are doomed it could mean that they could have more chance a bacterial infection but I have hatched pouras eggs before so don't give up.
smile.png

My last hatch had pourous eggs and they did fine.

I know you are very excited and candling eggs is fun and amazing but the less you handle them the better chance you have of them developing. Fussing with eggs too much really can cause a hatch to fail. Make sure your hands are very clean before handling the eggs to keep any bactria or substance from transfering to the embryo though the eggs by your skin oils.

Quote:

Oh good, I'm feeling better knowing that others have hatched. Whew!

Miss Prissy wrote:

My last hatch had pourous eggs and they did fine.

I know you are very excited and candling eggs is fun and amazing but the less you handle them the better chance you have of them developing. Fussing with eggs too much really can cause a hatch to fail. Make sure your hands are very clean before handling the eggs to keep any bactria or substance from transfering to the embryo though the eggs by your skin oils.

I only did it a few times when turning the eggs...I keep the lid closed and only open it three times a day to turn the eggs....This is all so facinating, but being a nurse I always wash my hands (before handling the eggs) as I sing Happy Birthday, just to know they are clean.

You knowledgeable chicken experts must get tired of all these newbie questions. We should start a thread entitled, "Silly newbie questions; funniest newbie questions; doesn't have a clue newbie questions".

Thanks for the advice,

Terri:)

Quote:
That is a great idea! LOL But, sadly, someone's feelings would get hurt and they would think we were picking on them.

Good luck with your eggs! Goose eggs have to be cooled every day so imagine how much fun I have running the light over them to see the embryos moving. They are gigantic compared to chicken eggs!
smile.png

I didn't know goose eggs have to be cooled everyday.....now that would be fun!

Miss Prissy....you have quite the farm going on down there! Where do you find the time?

I've been told that in addition to allowing bacteria in, the pores allow perhaps too much moisture out, and to bump up the humidity by 5% or so... I've even dipped the skinny end of a really porous egg in wax to seal some of the pores, and it worked! I don't know if anyone else has had any problems with it, but I know a lot of my porous eggs don't make it to hatch... not to worry you... I'd keep them in the incubator with good humidity to ensure their hatching... good luck!!
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I've been told that in addition to allowing bacteria in, the pores allow perhaps too much moisture out, and to bump up the humidity by 5% or so... I've even dipped the skinny end of a really porous egg in wax to seal some of the pores, and it worked! I don't know if anyone else has had any problems with it, but I know a lot of my porous eggs don't make it to hatch... not to worry you... I'd keep them in the incubator with good humidity to ensure their hatching... good luck!!
smile.png

That's really interesting that you should say that....because I thought my humidity was running a bit high and I couldn't get it lower....it's been running anywhere from 58-62%....perhaps that's a blessing in disguise?? I have my homemade bator in the basement because it is more of a constant temperature down there without any drafts, however, this house was built in 1831 and there is a natural spring running through it and even with the dehumidifier running year round the humidity in the basement alone is 63%. I hope having a higher humidity in the 1st 18 days doesn't hurt the hatch?​

I have a friend in Hawaii where the humidity is 75-85 % a lot of the time... she doesn't add water to the incubator, and hatches chicks all the time. I can't see that it would hurt, but it's not typically ideal. Our house is at 30% humidity due to the heater, so I have to add water to my incubators at least twice a day just to keep it at 50-55%!
smile.png
You should be fine!

Back
Top Bottom