Candling eggs: weird air bubble?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Jun 10, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    so our broody hen is on around day 20-23 with her eggs. 4 have lively, moving chicks in them with veins. The last time I candled, most of the egg was filled with the dark blob, with some clearness left(where the yolk was). All seemed normal. Some of the eggs that didn't develop and were clear had a strange air bubble; when i candled some of the eggs, the air bubble would kinda jiggle when I moved it. I found that 1-2 of the lively eggs with chicks in them also have a "jiggly" air bubble in them, and one of those same eggs has an air bubble that will move when I turn the egg..??!! [​IMG] I don't think this is normal, and I'm really worried that it will mess up the hatching of the chick. [​IMG]

Why is the air bubble doing this? Will the chick survive? [​IMG]

Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  2. killer

killer Songster

where they shipped eggs? if they are they will do that. i have had many a "jiggly" air bubbles in my shipped eggs.

3. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    with all my jiggly ones or the ones where they actually move, they never even start to develop for me.

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:No they were laid by our broody hen. The air bubble will literally move around when I turn it...It won't stay in one place while I'm candling the egg. Really weird. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: