Candling eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Goldenchik, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Goldenchik

Goldenchik In the Brooder

Jan 24, 2017
    Plymouth Indiana
    Is there a good way to candle eggs especially dark brown (Maran) chicken eggs without spending an arm and a leg for a commercial Candle device? I have used an empty toilet paper roll and flashlight but it was still really difficult to visualize inside the egg.
    I did look at them before setting them to incubate. I will check again on Friday 2/16. This will be day 7.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    I just hold my hand around the egg and the flashlight, and it works great for me! Sometimes I have to put the light ona different area to see. I don't know about the dark eggs though......

3. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    I use a super high power flashlight, works better than my pro egg candler.
    It is a mini like the cops use.
    The flashlight has a shroud around the lens that allows me to put it on a rounded surface (egg) and the shroud blocks out any escaping light, as the lens is recessed.

That said, I do not disturb eggs and candle until day 10, and you should see veining by then.
    If the eggs are really dark brown it may be impossible to see anything, so just sniff them for rot, and replace them in the incubator.

I candle again on day 17 when I lock the eggs down, and clears are tossed, sniff again & make sure there are no eggs leaking or stinking that can explode.
    You do not want eggs exploding in your incubator ! :sick
    Then the doors are locked til day 22 or more.
    Hope this helps !

4. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Hello Goldenchik!

Sounds like you're already getting some good advice on candling, so I'll just say "Welcome!" and "Glad you're here!"

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry I have never incubated eggs but, I hope it all turns out well for you.

6. Runnerducks1

Runnerducks1 Chirping

Feb 12, 2018
    Washington
    Thats what I did when i hatched eggs... Worked perfectly.

7. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :welcome:frow Happy to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)
    All the above works!

rjohns39, casportpony and Plip like this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under Goldenchik :frow Welcome and good luck with the hatch!

Sorry, I too have no experience candling as I just toss some eggs under one of my frequent broodies with a que sera sera ;)

This forum may be of assistance to you: Incubating & Hatching Eggs or this article:
    Information on Candling Eggs

Anyways, as that was your first post, I just wanted to say that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    One thing that can help in candling difficult eggs is to eliminate the "outside light" while candling - meaning do the candling in a completely dark room so the light you use for candling is the only light. Closets or rooms with no windows (I had a bathroom in my last home that was great for this) are good. The less light "around" the egg the better the light that is directed into the egg can illuminate things. I was able to candle dark and thickly shelled eggs using a high power LED flashlight with the egg resting right on the flashlight and my hand cupped around the point of contact in the completely dark room

rjohns39, casportpony, Plip and 3 others like this.
  10. Skipper81

Skipper81 " For my yoke is easy and my burden is light "

Feb 11, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    I have been having luck with my cell phone and clay that holds the egg
    My phone flashlights pretty bright I get room dark then close my eyes for a bit to get them to adjust to dark lol
    I also didn't want to spend much for devices
    Now my Olive eggs are harder to see but I found it takes more time and patience on dark eggs

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: