1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LegginMF12, Oct 29, 2011.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I am working on my first set of eggs in the incubator. Do I need a special light to candle with? These are Buff Orpington eggs and are light to medium brown. I have been using a LED flashlight and think that last night I saw veins. (WHHHHOOOO HOOOOOOO!). I looked on ebay and this is one of the items I found.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGGS-CANDLE...577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e62b25281
    I can tell you for a fact that these are from Home Depot. I know this because we bought 2 packs of 6 of them just a few month ago. This is what I have been using to candle with for now. Is it good enough? Do I need something different?

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i just use an LED flashlight. no sense in spending money when a flashlight wooks fine. unless u have super dark eggs i can see buying one. i have blue orphington eggs that are brown and a flashlight works for them

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

4. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Thanks guys! I am going to go sit in the dark closet now with an egg and my flashlight. (Have I ever mentioned I am a afraid if the dark)? [​IMG]

5. Hannah Jesenko

Hannah Jesenko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    to get the best results just use a L.E.D light

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by