Candling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jay262, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Would the power of your flash light effect if you can see veins in eggs early on like day 5 or 6. I know when i do searches i always see people with candled eggs around then full of bright red veins. My experince in incubating though i never see any till around day 8-10. Are they doing something different then me for the development to start so early on or is it just the power of the flashlight. Like my eggs right now all i see in them are dark blobs one i can see the faint hint of a vein.

2. cpuking

cpuking Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    The longer you wait the easier it is to see whats going on. I don't toss anything until day 10!
    Dark blobs are a good sign, if the egg was not fertile it would be clear, red veins are kinda 50/50 but if you have a mass
    with those veins it would be on the good side.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    Heres hoping these eggs traveled a long ways im down to about 8 out of 15 on day 6 now. These all seem to have the dark mass and quite a few of them i see a small vein forming. I know from past experinces incubating to wait till day 10 but these eggs traveled a long long ways they were frozen for the most part had detached aircells its amazing to see there developing at all im pretty excited to see anything forming.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Yes, definitely! You can actually buy extra-bright lights for candling very dark eggs, so if you used those lights on plain old pale brown eggs, you might even see some signs of life as early as day 3, IF of course you really knew what you were looking for. Me, I just wait till day 6 to candle and day 12 to be sure about what I should be removing...

5. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    If the light is bright enough.

6. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    Well there cayuga eggs while some are dark others are light. I am seeing some signs of veins so im quite happy at the moment since they were frozen and spend around 15 days in the mail. Anything after all that hatches will be pure luck so feel free to wish me luck on this i may need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by