1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenCary, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ChickenCary

ChickenCary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    I see in a lotof the pictures on here, there are veins running through the egg. I have candled mine and there are dark shadows for most of the egg, but no veins. We are going on day 5 now. Is this normal? They are brown eggs from Buff Orpingtons.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I candled mine on day 5 the other day and some of the eggs were causing me troubles too. I would wait until say day 10 and try again. By then you will know which are fertile and which aren't.

3. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Brown eggs are also harder to see into, so there may be some veining, you just can't see it yet. I see dark shadows in mine as well, and I believe that is a good sign. If you have completely clear eggs, that means they are not fertile.

I hope I am right on this, if not, someone please correct me.

4. ChickenCary

Mar 12, 2013
    brahmabreeder and blzzrdqueen Thank you! I am a little anxious. This is my first time incubating eggs. Actually this is the first time I have done anything with chickens. I am very EGGcited though. 21 days can't come soon enough. I will candle them at 10 days, and probably every day in between lol. It does make sense about not seeing the veins because of the darker colored shell. Good luck with your eggs! It is very nice to be able to talk to people on here :)

5. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    It's my first time too and I knew nothing until coming to this eggcelent site!

6. ChickenCary

Mar 12, 2013
    This site is very good. Still learning how to get around it though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by