Candling Eggs :/

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dylanj911, Nov 3, 2014.

1. dylanj911

dylanj911 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    [​IMG]I have an egg that i am unsure how old and if it is fertile all the pictures are of the same one. Please Help![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That baby is definitely developing. I would say at least a week and half to two weeks along in the incubation process.

3. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    Hi well ive had the baby inside for 8 days and the mother was sitiing on them for about a 8 days so would that mean that there is something wrong with devolopment

4. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    WHAT i said above

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Nope, could be that far along, definitely. My guess was just ballpark :) Looking good. Be careful not to hold it upside down like that though because that can cause problems. If you think it's 16 days along, and it looks like it certainly could be, I would lock it down on Wednesday. Do you plan to give it back to the mother? Single chicks are a pain to raise.

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Well, if they were under a broody for 8 days and then in the incubator for 8 days after that, then they should be on day 15. (You don't count the day they are set as day one.) That egg looks pretty well on target with development to me. Good luck with your hatch!

7. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    @Pyxis i have other one and 1 new one that i am debating wheter to put in today but what would you recomend keeping it in the incubator or giving it back to the mother

8. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    @Aphrael thanks so much would you guess their about 15 days old and would it be safe to put the egg that i picked tday with it

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Actually, you would count the first day you put the egg in as the first day if you started incubating it before noon. If you don't know when the broody started sitting you can lock the egg down a day early or late without hurting it, so that's okay. Or if you give it back to the mother, she'll handle it. I'd give it back to her if you think she'll be okay to raise it. Remember that if you do so you'll have to provide chick feed for her and the baby and you have to consider if you think the chick will be safe with the flock. If the mother is pretty high ranked in the pecking order I would think it would be fine, but only you know your flock so you have to make the decision. You can also make a separate area for the mother and baby after it hatches which would solve the problem.

You could put in the new egg but if you only have one incubator that would be a little tricky, because you'll need to really increase the humidity when you lock the other egg down, and you won't be able to open the incubator so it would be hard to turn the new egg. Of course if you give the old egg back to the hen that wouldn't be a problem. Is this a new egg starting from scratch or did you take it from a broody too? If you plan to raise these chicks inside it's a good idea to start more than one egg at once so you don't end up with single chicks.

10. dylanj911

Aug 9, 2013
    @Pyxis Thankyou can you tell me how hot it has to be during lock down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by