Candling... Fertile? Bloodring?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jfulcher, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Duck egg1 (fertile?)
    [​IMG]
    Duck egg2(fertile?)
    [​IMG]
    Duck egg3(fertile?)
    [​IMG]
    Duck egg 4(infertile?)
    [​IMG]
    Coturnix egg bloodring?!
    [​IMG]
    Duck eggs are about day 5...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    The only thing I see is MAYBE some veining in #1..
    Thats it Im afraid [​IMG]

3. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

[​IMG] can't tell from the pictures. I always have to be closer to the egg. However I don't usually candle duck eggs the first time until day 15 or 20, Sometimes I don't candle them at all until day 25.

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

I have seen duck eggs look clear until later in the incubation process.

Can't help with quail, I have never candled them. That may be veins though! Check again in a few days.

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I can't even tell with chicken eggs as early as day 5, never mind duck eggs! When I incubated ducks for the first time last month, I couldn't see anything in the eggs till about day 10, and even then it was just tiny dark spots, not veins. I didn't see big strong veins till maybe 15-16 days. Right now I have eight more in my bator on day 11, I've just candled them for the first time, and I'm still not completely sure about some of them. The only reason I even candled them at all was because I'm weighing them to gauge humidity, and when you're using the weighing method, you only use fertile and developing eggs for the calculations, so I kinda needed to find a couple of definitely developing ones to weigh...

Try again after another week...

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Make sure when you candle you hold them fat end up and shine the light down into them. Try again day 7-8 you should see veining then. Also be sure to be in a completely dark room/closet to getnthe best images zoom in or move in closer.

Day 6 peafowl egg candled
    [​IMG]

7. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Thank you everyone for your answers! [​IMG]

8. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    The coturnix egg looks fertile!! They are extremely hard to candle because of the darker egg with spots on them!! But from past experience with candeling coturnix if there is a blurry spot than it is most likely alive!! Oh and they are super easy to incubate!! Every time I incubate them I have a 100% hatch!! And I'm not good at incubating!! Just ask all the poor little chickens that never made it out of their egg!! [​IMG]

9. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:The pic is a really bad pic... Its a red ring in actuality around the entire circumference of the egg about 1/4in...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by