Candling for the 1st time

delaswim

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 28, 2011
Smithville, MO
OK, all the info I've read says to candle the eggs after 7 days to see which ones are growing. I've never done this before, so I have no idea what to look for! Any help in explaining what a fertilized, growing embryo looks like (or what I should look for) after 7 days in the incubator would be helpful.

Also, how much time should be spent doing this? It seems like opening up the incubator and candling 14 eggs would take at least 10 mins. I'm not going to screw things up, am I?

I candled mine last night at 5 days and saw lots of veins. It was so cool.

The momma hen gets off the nest to eat and drink and use the bathroom. It took me about 10 minutes to candle 42 eggs last night. It only takes a second to hold it up to the light and see if something is there.

Last edited:
You know, that what I figured. I realize the mama hen can't sit on her eggs 24/7, but there's so much talk of not disrupting the incubator. Looking forward to seeing some development!

Wow, very cool! I candled all my eggs and 11 of the 14 have good embryo development and lots of veins. They look so neat under the light. Hopefully they all make it.

Back
Top Bottom