Candling Fresh Eggs Cant Find The Air Cell Save My Soul!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DENALI, Jun 12, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    I have 6 eggs that i cant tell which end is which end. I tried candling them and cant see an air cell in any of them. I tried candling the ones i know which end is which and cant see an air cell in them either. Anyone able to point me to pics of day one eggs that show the air cell for reference? Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Well on the bright side that means your eggs are nice and fresh! What I've done a few times when I couldn't tell, is lay them on their sides for a week or so and hand turn them. By that time the air cell should have grown enough you'll be able to tell easier.

3. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    Quote:I have an auto turner in the bator so no room to lay them on their side and do it by hand [​IMG] I guess its a best guess thing at this point and go from there. hate to do that though as they are spendy little buggers!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

In mine there's enough space along one side to lay 2 or 3 eggs alongside the turner. I don't know what incubator and turner you've got. I've got the 1588 and the turner that goes with it.

5. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    Quote:I've got the 1588 and the turner for it. I just looked and your right there is room. So basically the ones i cant tell just put them there for a couple days and hand turn them and once i can tell which end has the air cell then move them to the auto turner?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If you candle closely and look at both ends, you should be able to see a small ring of eggshell that look different. That is where the aircell will develop. I know what you mean...I had some fresh eggs that didn't have a cell either.

7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    in a fresh egg you should see a little circle smaller than a dime.

8. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    Quote:Would i want to candle from the ends or the middle?

9. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    the best way to see it is off center of the end, not shining right through the end but off to the side. Look at one that you know which end is the big end first, once you see it you will know what to look for. These arent shipped eggs are they? If so there might not be an air cell!

10. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    Quote:Yes they are shipped eggs. They were all laid Tuesday morning and arrived to me today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by