candling green and brown eggs...tough to do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, Apr 21, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    This is only the end of day 5 for my chicken eggs...and I just tried candling them. My flashlight has 150 lumens and sees the veins and duckies moving in the white duck eggs easily. The small brown eggs and the big green eggs seem to be pretty porous and harder to see into. Granted its only day 5, I thought I could see a few veins or little lines like veins in a couple. I only looked at a few,b/c I'm cheating in the first place looking at them on only day 5 and not waiting til day 7's nighttime. Anyone else try looking inside at day 5 for brown or green eggs? Will I see much more in any good eggs by day 7, 14, etc? or will it still be really tough to distinguish a good egg from a clear or bad egg? I so want these to be good- I bought partridge and buff and splash silkies and showgirls from ebay.... and then my April swap eggs are in there too. A few of my EE/Ameraucaunas are the green eggs I mentioned. So, hope all is good...wish me luck!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lisa

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I feel you on that one. My Welsummers are a pain to candle, because they are speckled and have a dark terracotta color.

I am waiting until day 14-18 before I cull any. From there, you can tell if you have a dark mass or nothing at all.

3. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    LOL you're not kidding! I got my 1st batch of green/blue EE/araucana (who knows!) eggs and either they are all fertile are none of them are! The dark brown ones (I have maranas & penedescanas) aren't SOO bad after day 6-7 b/c you can tell the middle is dark & the tip-top & very bottom are lighter = development.

4. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Today was Day Five for my batch of browns and greens as well. They are nearly impossible to see inside, but I was able to make out a few marks.
    Thus far, 14/15 of my chicken eggs are lookin' pretty good. (From what I can see).

The other is questionable. Let us know on Day 7.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I could never candle my green hatching eggs.

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    It does get a bit easier as you go on. Just because you can usually see the chick a bit better. I could never really see much veining in my green, blue and darker brown eggs. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I candle my Welsummers at day 11 and again at day 18. At day 11 I can see easily.

8. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    OK- thanks I'll just have to be patient. That's so hard to do, esp. for me! On a happier note, I picked out a few of my duck eggs too to look into and saw a much larger little blob wiggling around in them. Oh it was just so touching! Its baby duckies growing and changing by the minute inside of those! I so hope they al lmake it to day 8. Its only day 13 now....agh! how on earth will I make it to then???
    Lisa (who had long manicured fingernails nails 2 weeks ago...needless to say-between the gardens and these incubators, my long nails are gone now.)

9. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have 13 green eggs..I am on day 9. I have been trying to candle them since the third day. I have seen ,somewhat, the veins in a few, but for the others...very difficult. I have 2 white eggs also and can see prefectly in them. I started with 20 eggs and had to remove the only 4 brown ones and 1 green because they had nothing developing. I could see in them fine, and cracked them open before throwing them out and they were unfertilized. Anyway, I wish I could see in all of my eggs that are left to make sure they are all developing ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by